In lieu of Inspiration: A post from my girl...

My Name is Alice.


Being the daughter of a full-time modern mother is very confusing. She comments on my Facebook wall posts, takes the Mickey out of my pictures, and generally embarrasses me. She is on the computer more than I am and I’m seventeen – uh, hello? Who’s the teenager here? She gets excited when she gets new Facebook friends or new Blogger followers. She’s constantly looking at her blogs viewing figures and then screeching when she beats her last average. She is fanatic about her books and her reading – reading books when she’s in bed, on the toilet, and when we’re supposed to be watching TV. But then again, she tweets when she’s doing those things too.

Being the daughter of a writer is another thing. She moans when she has no inspiration, even though she’s constantly coming up with new and inventive things to write about. It does get me down when she gets sad about not finding an agent and then seeing others get published. I think it makes her feel like she’s getting pushed down, like she’s not good enough. But she is, and I just wish my mum’s dream could come true – I hope that one day it will.

Because my mum writes, it used to inspire me to write, although I was never very good at it – my stories were dull, and a little bit short. I could never find the write kind of stuff to fill up a whole book! I used to write about talking animals – thanks to the Warrior Cats series – and I loved getting immersed into my own world. The only problem with this was that I couldn’t quite get the words onto the page; I think I was about 9 when I wrote them, so the stories were best kept in my head. I then wanted to become an author myself, before discovering my love for cameras and photography, and then my love for moving image rather than photographs!

Being an English Literature student I have had to read two novels and two selections of poetry (and blogged about it here) but I hate being forced to read something. If I want to read it, I will choose to read it, don’t force it on me! Sadly, I have another year of having to read books pushed in my direction, but hopefully they’ll be more interesting than these last ones. Though because of this course I have realised that Auden was a great poet and that Browning was a little bit messed up – I never thought I’d be able to appreciate poetry the way I do now. Speaking of which… I should probably be revising them now!

So my mother, my wonderful, beautiful, inspirational mother has way more talent than any agent has managed to read into her books so far, and hopefully she’ll be picked up sooner rather than later. I know she deserves it. Followers and viewings make her seem appreciated – so keep it up! Make my mum feel like the special person she is!

NB: No bribes were passed before, during OR after the writing of this, although a tear may have been shed following the reading of it.  I *heart* my girl!

13 comments:

Karen said...

What a lovely post and a beautiful daughter :o)

I might show this to mine in the hope she might be inspired to say something similar, but I don't seem to have passed any writing genes on!

With support like that you're already a winner Debs :o)

Rebecca Alexander said...

What a wonderful comment. As someone in the same position (writing getting better, no agent yet) I am constantly supported by my kids' understanding that writing is a compulsion and a passion and not just a hobby. Perseverance is KEY. I look forward to your good news one day. And your daughter's post is funny, clearly she has picked up a few of her Mum's writing genes!

Caroline Green said...

I think I have a little tear in my eye too! What a wonderful post and the picture of you both is just beautiful!

Debs Riccio said...

Awwww thanks for the lovely comments, ladies, she's a little star isn't she?

Susie Nott-Bower said...

What a FAB U LOUS post!!! Seems to me that your daughter has inherited a great many writing genes, even if photography is her 'thing'.
And what a wonderful testimony to a great mother/daughter relationship. You are so lucky to have one another.
Oh, and the picture's very beautiful.
Susiex

Fionnuala said...

OMG... I feel a little emotional having read that. We often forget that they feel it too if we hurt? Wow, what a wonderful post from a lovely daughter who has obviously inherited her mother's good looks and writing talent! x

Lindsay said...

Daughters rock! My daughter was the one who kept me writing my first novel, because she loved it.

Unlike you, Alice, she doesn't write but she is still very supportive. Your writing is great!Keep it up.

Of course Mums always take the credit for lovely daughters because we created you!

PS: I get excited about Facebook friends and Blog and Twitter follwers too!

Unknown said...

Thank you everyone, it means a lot!

Anonymous said...

A wonderful post and beautifully written! That's what i call a talented family...

Caroline Rance said...

What a lovely post!

Deb said...

Aww, what a lovely daughter you have, Debs. Well done, Alice. xxx

Neil said...

Sweet. My teenager won't get off twitter for long enough to notice that I have written a book.

Helen Black said...

What a lovely post.

I often wonder what it must be like being the child of writer - we're a starnge breed no? Living a kind of half life in reality and the rest in our heads...
HB x