A Writer's Mind : Bubble wrap to warped bubbles...


I’m having an enforced break from writing at the moment – just one of those times in your life when events take over, gather pace and then suddenly time is limited and what’s not absolutely necessary suffers.


Which has led me to ask the question... Is my writing absolutely necessary to me? Right now, even as I type these words my mind is filled with the things I NEED to do today – like figure out how to shoehorn the stuff from our house into a smaller one when we move in a few weeks. And wondering just how many storage boxes I’ll need. And if I really need to buy those double width sstttrrronnnggg ones or if the cheaper ones will do. No, I need the double strength ones for all my books. Oh God – my books! Where will I put them?



But amidst all the mayhem, there are two things that have become clear. One – I’m glad of the break. I was weary. And I mean totally weary. Of rejection. Of the process. Of just about everything to do with writing. So a break, a real one, though sort of forced upon me has been really welcome and very much what my writing life needed. I see that now.



And Two. When the time is right, I will return to it. I miss it. I miss being in touch with my virtual writing pals. I miss writing my blog. I miss reading other blogs. I miss the support that is now out there via the internet and something which I think I was beginning to take for granted.


A few weeks ago, when this personal process started and life got too busy for writing, I remember panicking a little because I wasn’t particularly upset. As I said I was weary. But last night I felt the tingle again. You know the one you get when you wander in your head and suddenly there’s a scene from your future work unfolding in your brain? I was packing glasses at the time. Mind numbing bubble wrap stuff, but I was also multitasking and watching my latest TV guilty pleasure – Law & Order, Special Victims Unit. See there’s this detective in it, a character by the name of Stabler, an actor by the name of Chris Meloni. Anyway, he was on the TV but he was also playing lead hero role in my new scene... And God, he looked good.


So folks you heard it here first. When the next book is written and the film rights being auctioned – whoever gets me Chris Meloni to play the lead gets the gig.


As always I’ve got a trusty notebook nearby. And though I know I won’t get to read through it properly, or start a new work until the new year and I’m missing out on Nanowrimo this year – I’m still excited. It’s the tingle you see. Nothing at all to do with boring bubble wrap. Or politicians using bubble wrap, or a poison sandwich wrapped in bubble wrap, or a psycho snapping the tiny bubbles from a square piece in the pocket of his duffle coat as he stalks his prey, or even wierd shaped alien bearing bubbles.


Oh yes, my writing life, I have missed you and you are ABSOLUTELY necessary to me...

7 comments:

Helen Black said...

I often think that if this were to be the last book I ever wrote, it wouldn't be the writing itself I would miss, it would be the creation of stories.

I would definitely need to sate that thirst somehow...but that wouldn't neccessarily mean more and more novels iyswim.
HB x

Susie Nott-Bower said...

Oh, I sooo empathise! Just spent this morning talking to a removals man about boxes,bubblewrap etc. - only snag is I've nowhere to move them to at the moment! So far, no 'tingle' for me - I'm so glad you've had one - but I do think the gentle, regular process of packing and sorting can allow the creativity-fairy to visit. Hope so, anyway.
Good luck with your move.
Susiex

Roderic Vincent said...

I hope you come back to your writing with renewed vigour when the time is right for you.

Caroline Green said...

I know exactly what you mean and I can never stay away that long either...

I had to go and Google Chris Meloni and yup, can see what you mean although there is a hilarious picture of him in a Harold and Kumar movie where he isn't looking quite so glam...link to long to put here but is on first page of Googles images!

Unknown said...

Hi Fionnu....just went to your other page....an dknew when I saw the bubble wrap this was you!!! Good luck with the move....By the way I have been watching Law and Order SVU for years, so I have first dibs on Chris Meloni!!!!LOLxoox

Ann said...

Delighted to hear the tingle is back. Sometimes it just takes a moment of mindlessness(ie bubble wrapping) to hear the creative voice in your head overcome the endless lists of what needs to be done.

Good luck with the move!

Karen said...

As long as you're still getting the tingle, all is well. And when I eventually read your novel I'll be picturing Chris Meloni as the hero, swathed in bubble wrap :o)