World Book Night 2014

I have to admit  I was slightly, slightly put off by this annual event which started a few years ago, simply  because its title includes the word 'night'.

Being a prolific sleeper (I have to have at least 8-9 hours' sleep a night otherwise heads roll - usually  mine)  I was torn between my love of books -versus- my love of sleep.  So I tried to ignore the World Book Night's first few forays, believing that I'd be complete rubbish at it and wouldn't even be awake to carry out any allotted 'duties' this task entailed.

Until a couple of years ago when a colleague did something completely unexpected and handed me a copy of Meg Rossoff's "How I live Now" and I was stunned into what a simple exercise the World Book Night truly is.  And that I was being given one of the books during daylight hours only made me happier.  I know, I know - how small is my brain?  I don't  think I'd realised how to work the 'FAQ' links back then - that's MY excuse anyhow. :(

Delighted doesn't begin to describe how it felt being handed this book.  This brilliant book, which I'd already read courtesy of my daughter who'd read it at school and passed it to me; it's one of those stories that sends shivers, makes the senses spike and heightens both the sunshine and the shadows of the world we live in, will always live in. If you haven't read it then please do; you'll be SO glad you did.

I took the book, of course I did, and then I passed it straight onto a other colleague who hadn't read it and who was equally delighted.

Can you think of a better way to encourage somebody to read a book - especially if they're not known to read very much - than to give them one you've already read, enjoyed and can 'sell' the story to?

I can't.

And the only (I'm reluctant to say 'drawback' because this really isn't one, or it's so insignificant that it shouldn't be) downside (*insert suitable replacement word*) to becoming a 'Giver' on World Book Night is that you have to pick your allotted box of books up from whichever point you decide to have them delivered to (Waterstones/Smiths/other pickup points I believe).

The 20 books on the list this year are here: BOOK LIST and the date, as usual is 23rd April.

I've picked 'The Humans' by Matt Haig - I read this a couple of months back and loved it.
'The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas' by John Boyne - which still brings a lump to my throat.
and 'Getting Rid of Matthew' by Jane Fallon which I read years ago and I still remember the delight it gave me.

Which ones will YOU choose?



2 comments:

Gillian McDade said...

I'm not sure I'd be good at recommending books as my faves are quite obscure. Recent ones which have had an impact on me are The Dissident by Nell Freudenberger and more recently The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt (still reading!') Perhaps the most reader friendly is The Sea Sisters - a good summer escapist read!

Debs Riccio said...

Ah, Gillian, I bet you've read at least ONE on the list...? Even if the Roald Dahl anthology - haven't you?